Thank you for accepting our invitation to Graduate Research Days (GRD) 2020 running from Thu, Feb 20 to Sat, Feb 22, 2020. Please read over the below details very carefully before attending the event.
How to pick a supervisor
It is recommended that you read through the Graduate Student Supervision Guidelines before the event, as it provides insight on choosing a supervisor. Also, please go through our list of faculty members to see who you might want to work with.
During the poster session on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, you will get an opportunity to sign-up for interviews with professors who you’d like to meet. The interviews are 20 minutes each with 5 minutes of travel between meetings allowing for up to 8 meetings. Each professor participating in GRD will have a sign-up sheet next to their research poster. Interview spots are limited. With that said, it’s ok to double-up (even triple-up) with others for interview spots.
Things to think about before traveling
- Check the weather forecast and pack accordingly especially if you plan to attend the optional tour on Saturday.
- Print and bring several copies of your resume/cv.
- Bring a pen and paper to take notes with.
- The dress attire for Fri, Feb 21 is business casual.
- Review the full event program, which you will receive through email closer to the event, to see which professors will be represented at the poster session and where their offices are located for interviews.
Traveling by air
If you are traveling by air, please note that you will be contacted by Avenue Travel (our on-campus travel agency) to confirm details of your trip. Watch out for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please remember to save your original boarding passes, as they must be mailed to Branden Wesseling when you return home from the event (he will need all boarding passes by Fri, Mar 13, 2020).
Invited guests will be reimbursed for the following:
- Airline checked baggage fee (except excess or overweight baggage fees). Maximum of one checked baggage fee per flight.
- Rail or bus fare. Original ticket or receipt must be provided and mailed to Branden Wesseling when you return home from the event.
- Taxi, ride share or shuttles. Only travel from airport to hotel is covered. Original receipt must be provided and mailed to Branden Wesseling when you return home from the event.
- Public transportation. Original ticket or receipt must be provided and mailed to Branden Wesseling when you return home from the event.
- Use of personal vehicle. Reimbursement of $0.54 per kilometre will be provided if using a personally owned automobile for short distance travel
- Parking fees if using a personally owned automobile. Original receipt must be provided and mailed to Branden Wesseling when you return home from the event.
For all expenses listed in this section, you must also complete and send in an expense reimbursement form. Branden Wesseling will need all your expense reimbursement forms, tickets and receipts by Fri, Mar 13, 2020.
Branden Wesseling’s mailing address
200 College Street, Room 218
Toronto, ON M5S 3E5
Public transportation to the Chelsea Hotel
If you are traveling by air and landing at Pearson International Airport, it is highly recommended that you take the Union-Pearson Express (www.upexpress.com), which runs every 15 minutes between the airport and Union Station in downtown Toronto. Purchase a return adult-ticket for $24.70 at https://www.upexpress.com/Tickets/Tickets. You must purchase your ticket online in advance to be able to buy a return ticket. The trip to Union Station takes about 25 minutes. From Union Station, take a taxi or ride share to the hotel.
If you are traveling by air and landing at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, please take a taxi or ride share to the hotel. This also applies to if you are traveling by bus and arriving at the Toronto Coach Terminal or if you’re taking the train / Go Transit and arriving at Union Station.
For all travel by taxi or ride share, please remember to keep your receipt for submission with your expense reimbursement form.
Wifi during GRD 2020
Need help? Contact email@example.com
Check back soon for full details. During the event, if you have trouble connecting, visit the following page for instructions: https://wireless.utoronto.ca