The objective of these Leaders of Tomorrow (LOT) Awards is to recognize students in Chemical Engineering & Applied Chemistry who have shown the potential to become outstanding leaders. This potential may be demonstrated in a number of ways, including participation in student councils or clubs, community organizations, cultural groups, or athletics. Applicants should enumerate their service to others through volunteering or community work. Recipients should have the ability to inspire others to action and to excellence.
In 2023, the following LOT Awards are available to full-time students in Chemical Engineering (PEY Co-op students are not eligible). The approximate value of each award is given below.
- Students in Second Year - The Professor James W. Smith Leaders of Tomorrow Award ($5,637.72)
- Students in Second Year - The Class of 8T2 Emerging Leaders Award in Chemical Engineering ($5,000)
- Students in Third Year - The Class of 5T9 Leaders of Tomorrow Award ($8,936.76)
- Students in Fourth Year - The Troost Family Leaders of Tomorrow Award ($7,630)
- Students in Third or Fourth year - The ERCO Worldwide Leaders of Tomorrow Award ($7,117.54)
The following documents must be submitted by applicants in one PDF file:
1. A two-page CV of your leadership activities.
2. One page with the following two sections: "leadership statement" and "personal statement." You are allowed to use content from your Online Engineering Portfolio.
3. One letter of reference from someone who can speak directly about your leadership experience (can be from within or outside of U of T).
Awardees will be announced during the 37th ChemE Dinner on Friday, March 31, 2023. Please save the date to make sure you can attend the event.
Submission Deadline & Details
Applications are to be submitted by email to Nivetha Pandi (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 17, 2023.
NOTE: Submit all documents in PDF format with your name and the award you are applying for clearly labeled (ex: LastnameFirstname_8T2 Emerging Leader Award). Please indicate in your email if you would like to be considered for more than one award.