Thank you for accepting our invitation to Graduate Research Days (GRD) 2023 running from Thu, Feb 23 to Sat, Feb 25, 2023. Please read over the below details very carefully before attending the event.
How to pick a supervisor
It is recommended that you read through the Graduate Student Supervision Guidelines before the event, as it provides insight on choosing a supervisor. Also, please go through our list of faculty members to see who you might want to work with.
During your lab visits on Fri, Feb 24, please remember to bring hard copies of your resume/cv for the professors you will be meeting with.
Things to think about before traveling
- Check the weather forecast and pack accordingly especially if you plan to attend the optional tour on Saturday.
- Print and bring several copies of your resume/cv.
- Bring a pen and paper to take notes with.
- The dress attire for Fri, Feb 24 is business casual.
- Review the full event program, which you will receive through email closer to the event. Lab visits will be uniquely tailored to each guest.
Traveling by air
If you are traveling by air, please contact Lea Ramnarace at Avenue Travel (our on-campus travel agency) to arrange your trip. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be ready to provide her with the following information:
- First name
- Middle name (if on passport)
- Last name
- Gender (only male or female)
- Date of birth (format 01Jan1999)
- Cell number including area code
- Traveler’s email
- Flights from
- Flights to
- Dates of travel
- Any special requests (aisle or window)
Please remember to save your original boarding passes, as they must be mailed to Jennifer Hsu when you return home from the event (she will need all boarding passes by Fri, Mar 17, 2023).
Invited guests will be reimbursed for the following:
- Airline checked baggage fee (except excess or overweight baggage fees). Maximum of one checked baggage fee per flight.
- Rail or bus fare. Original ticket or receipt must be provided and mailed to Jennifer Hsu when you return home from the event.
- Taxi, ride share or shuttles. Only travel from airport/train station/bus station to hotel is covered and vice versa. Original receipt must be provided and mailed to Jennifer Hsu when you return home from the event.
- Public transportation. Original ticket or receipt must be provided and mailed to Jennifer Hsu when you return home from the event.
- Use of personal vehicle. Reimbursement of $0.57 per kilometre will be provided if using a personally owned automobile for short distance travel.
- Parking fees if using a personally owned automobile. Original receipt must be provided and mailed to Jennifer Hsu when you return home from the event.
For all expenses listed in this section, you must also complete and send in an expense reimbursement form. Jennifer Hsu will need all your expense reimbursement forms, tickets and receipts by Fri, Mar 17, 2023.
Jennifer Hsu’s mailing address
200 College Street, Room 257
Toronto, ON M5S 3E5
Public transportation to the Delta Chelsea Hotel
If you are traveling by air and landing at Pearson International Airport, it is highly recommended that you take the Union-Pearson Express (www.upexpress.com), which runs every 15 minutes between the airport and Union Station in downtown Toronto. Purchase a return adult-ticket for $24.70 at https://www.upexpress.com/Tickets/Tickets. You must purchase your ticket online in advance to be able to buy a return ticket. The trip to Union Station takes about 25 minutes. From Union Station, take a taxi or ride share to the hotel.
If you are traveling by air and landing at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, please take a taxi or ride share to the hotel. This also applies to if you are traveling by bus and arriving at the Toronto Coach Terminal or if you’re taking the train/Go Transit and arriving at Union Station.
For all travel by taxi or ride share, please remember to keep your receipt for submission with your expense reimbursement form.
Wifi during GRD 2023
U of T visitors from a participating eduroam institution will have wifi access. Please visit https://wireless.utoronto.ca/connect/ for details on how to connect.